REPLACING ALTERNATOR IN

2001 Ford Escape

How big of a job is it to replace the alternator on 2001 ford escape?
i am hearing that the front axle must be removed to get to it? Is this true or is there any short cuts available?
Bob degroot

I've never changed one, but I researched it on the internet. Yes you have to remove the right side half shaft. You could check more yourself but this is what I found: 1. With the vehicle up on ramps, remove the black plastic splash shield from unerneath the right side of the engine. It's held on by about 5 M8 bolts, and one Phillips head screw.

2. Remove the serpentine belt. With the cover off, from underneath you can put a 1/2" drive socket into the tensioner pulley, crank it to the side with one hand while you unloop the belt around one of the pulleys with the other.

3. So far I've found 2 M13 bolts that go from the rear into the engine block. The top one you can just barely get at blindly from above. The second one is below and you can just barely get a socket on it wedging between the 1/2-shaft and front sub-frame.

4. There are (3) M13's holding the alternator, two on bottom, one on top, but I wasn't sure if/how I could get the alternator out and around the 1/2-shaft once I did get the thing un-bolted. I don't know if you have to take that out to remove the alternator or not.

5. Put the alternator aside, as you will not be able to remove it. You must next unbolt the metal bracket to which the altenator mounts. (There are either 2 or 3 bolts holding this mounting bracket, I can't recall). Once you remove the bracket, you can then remove the alternator.

6. When chaning the alternator, it is a good idea to also change the serpentine belt.

Tried the above, but found that the alternator cannot be removed after the above bracket is removed. The right side half-shaft must be removed in order to create a big enough hole to get the alternator out.

Do all of the above and then: The 32mm nut that assembles the half-shaft to the spindle must be removed, the pinch bolt holding the ball joint must be removed, and the 2 nuts holding the half-shaft bearing must be removed.

Pry the ball joint out of the spindle, pull the spindle off the half-shaft, and then pull out the half-shaft. Then the alternator, when held in exactly the correct position, will come out the hole created by the half-shaft removal.

Rudpro