ROUGH IDLE

2001 Ford Edge

2001 Ford Edge 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 99000 miles

my ranger idles rough and using gas bad. When I get on it hard. It will stall at times. Replaced pump. Filter, plugs and wires. Checked fuel regulator. They it holds good pressure. Smell gas in vac lines but see no gas from regulator. Any ideals what is going this thing uses gas bad. At first a shop said I had carbon on valve
cleaned with water and trans fluid several times.I also replace several parts I am lost. Also a check engine has never came on, I have been told valve springs may b bad, coil may b week, not sure what it is
Chevy19633

Without a check engine light, it becomes a guessing game. I would start by checking for vacuum leaks first. Also, check the EGR valve to make sure it isn't carboned and not working properly. As far as the carbon on the valves, that isn't going to cause this problem. Can you tell me what has been replaced?

Let me know.

I have replaced fuel pump filter that wath I was told the first time due too it stalling out when I got on it hard it would bog down and stutter. Then I changed plugs and wires. Now it idles rough and still stalls when I get on it at times. Been told coil, week valve springs. And bad fuel regulator. I do smell gas in vac line no visible gas from regulator. But u would think check engine light would come on wit a vac leak. It has always idled rough before this too and uses gas alot. Out of work here and looking for answers. I dont have a smoker so how can I check for vac leak myself.

Chevy19633
If you start the engine, you may actually hear a hissing from a vacuum leak. Some mechanics will spray starting fluid on them. If there is a leak, the RPM's will go up. I hate doing it that way. Although it works, if the starting fluid hits something hot enough, it can catch fire.

I would also recommend checking the make sure the fuel pressure regulator is working properly. Here is a how to for checking it.

http://www.2carpros.com/how_to/how_to_check_fuel_pressure.htm

The video discusses fuel pressure and also how to check if the regulator is working.

Let me know what you find and thanks for using 2carpros.com.

I check fuel pressure onn 2001 3.0 l getting 65 psi remove vac hose and did not drop at all. What is normal psi I was thinking 30-40

Chevy19633
I just checked the pressure reqirements. According to Mitchell online it can range from 30 to 65PSI which is really a big range. I have to confirm something with you. The pressure I just mentioned is for a 2001 ford ranger. In your original posting, you listed the vehicle as a 2001 ford edge. Since they didn't offer the edge in 2001, I have been basing this on a ranger. If I am wrong, let me know.

Now, the manual says the max pressure is 65PSI with the engine running. However, when you disconnected the regulator, you said there was no change. When you disconnect the fuel pressure regulator, the pressure should go up about 5 or 10 PSI. If it doesn't the regulator is bad. Also, when you were checking it with the engine running, did the pressure increase when you hit the throttle? Also, was there any evidence of fuel in the vacuum hose going to the regulator?

Let me know.

Thanks so much. I did recheck psi. Pressure did not go up when diconnected vac. And did go up 5psi when tapped on accelerator. This is a 2001 ford ranger edge. I thought psi would be in the 30 to 40 range but stays at 65psi. I see no gas but vac line smell of gas evidences.

Randy

Chevy19633
Based on your description, I think the regulator is bad. When you remove the vacuum from it, the pressure should go up 5 to 10 PSI.