TIMING CHAIN REPLACEMENT

Ford E-Series Van

HI own a 1994 E-150 Econoline conversion van with a 5.0 liter engine. This vehicle has 99,440 miles on it. When taking off there is a brief chattering sound that occurs that can also be heard as the vehicle shifts into overdrive and occasionally while maintaining speed on level road. Could this be the timing chain rubbing against the timing cover?
Robsvan

Robsvan
It is possible. The best way to tell is take a peice of rubber hose about 3 foot long put the head of a three inch bolt in on end of the hose. Try not to touch anything else set the bolt on the case with the engine running and put the other end to you earyou should be able to hear what it is doing(NOS) 8)

NOS
Thank you for that helpful hint. I have used the hose with a bolt inserted at one end. I can definately hear the timing chain rubbing against the timing cover and now know that the timing chain is definately in need of replacement. Since this replacement is necessary, is there anything else that you would suggest be checked for while that part of the engine has been dismantled for the procedure?

Robsvan
There isn't much else to see there. I would change the water pump cause it will save you in the long run on having to do it later. Just take you time thoes bolts rust up real bad and they are known to break. Whem going back together use a antisize compound on the cleaned bolts.(NOS) 8) just make sure to send a post to BON and Ken thanking them so they can keep site open.

NOS