FRONT HUB REMOVAL

Ford Crown Victoria

I recently experienced a wheel bearing going bad, and through research online I found that the front hub must be removed and replaced. I have no idea how to do this. Can anyone advise? This is on a 2001 Ford Crown Vic Police Interceptor, with the 4.9L engine. It has 140,000+ miles.

Thanks much!
Odnrk9

Should be able to remove front tire, brake assembly, rotor should slide off, remove the center bearing cap, remove the nut under the cap, slide off the bearing, as a unit, then just reverse the procedure.

Jeftfields
He's pretty much right.A buddy of mine did it on a 99 Crown Vic, the hub and bearing came off without a puller. Very important not to re-use the hub retainer, it is designed as a one-use piece. If you re-use it, there's a chance it may back itself off and your assembly will fall off the car, or at the least cause major damage to the parts. As long as you haven't damaged any related parts due to the bad bearing, shouldn't be too bad of a job. Unless Ford has totally changed their design.

TaurusWheel
Thanks for all the replies. Can anybody advise if the spindle lock nut comes with the replacement hub/bearing assembly?

Odnrk9
Not normally.

So I would have to locate one separately? Are those a common part to be found at a dealership?

Odnrk9
The dealership should have them, (if they don't it makes you wonder if they change them).

I have had the best luck with Timken brand myself, get the unit first and see what it has. I'd be surprized, but you never know!

Thanks for all the help. Doesn't make sense to me why the spindle locking nut wouldn't be included, especially when they advise to throw away the old one and replace with a new one. I fully intend to replace it with a new one, though.

Odnrk9
Like I said, get the unit and see, some do.

There are many strange and illogical situations within the auto repair world due to the human factor.

Thanks!

Odnrk9
Well, I just picked up the part. No spindle lock nut. I had to order one. Can anybody advise what size it is, so I can be sure I have all the tools I need before I get started? Does it need torqued?

Odnrk9