97 CROWN VIC. RUNS ROUGH

1997 Ford Crown Victoria

97 Ford Crown Victoria 4.6L 118,000 miles. This car is an old police car out of Florida. I live in the midwest and the car gives me grief when the weather gets cold. It does not want to start and when it does it will run rough and run rich until it starts to warm up. I replaced bank 1 sensor 2 o2 sensor and that helped for awhile, until it started getting chilly again. The check engine light keeps coming on telling me it is the sensor I replaced and air/fuel metering. I am not sure what the latter means since it is fuel injected. I also have cleaned the MAF sensor and the other one in the air filter box. The intake manifold has also been cleaned. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Wearea2j2

Even though you cleaned the mass air flow sensor, that won't help if it has gone bad. Try replacing it and see how it does. They tend to go bad on Ford vehicles a lot.

Catch_15
Would a MAF Sensor failure make the check engine light come on? If so, it has not shown up in the computer. THX

Wearea2j2
Yes, that would definately make the check engine light come on. I have a 5.0 Mustang and my MAF was bad and the code reader just read " error".

Catch_15
The check engine light is on now, and the codes are for the o2 sensor I replaced and air/fuel metering. My tech manual doesn't say anything on the subject of metering. Nothing about MAF Sensor.

Wearea2j2
If the code says O2 sensor, try replacing them and see how it does. If they are bad, they'll throw off the air/fuel mixture which will make the car run rough.

Catch_15
I replaced the one that the comp. Said was bad, but at $80.00 each I didnt want to go broke either. The metering code didnt come in till after I had replaced the bad one.

Wearea2j2
So, did you get the trouble code for the sensor after you replaced it? If so, that doesn't make any sense to me. Which sensor and bank did you replace? Yes, I know they're expensive, I have a Mustang with the 4.6 and had to replace two of them.

Catch_15
Thx for all of your help but I traded the car in. Let someone else figure it out? I was also told that the brain was probably getting ready to go!

Wearea2j2