EGR VALVE

2000 Ford Crown Victoria

2000 Ford Crown Victoria V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic

I am getting an egr code on my check engine. The egr vacuum control regulator has line voltage and 36 ohms. This is in range. The dpfe has 5.2 volts. This is in range. I removed the egr valve. It did not have any significant build up. When I applied a vacuum (with my mouth) the valve opened and closed properly. When I put it all back together, the check engine light came back on after about twenty minuets driving time. What am I overlooking?
Thanks for the help,
Frank
Frank Collins

Apply the vacuum to the valkve with engien running at idle, it should almost if not completley kill the engine. If there is little or no change in the idle quality the EGR passage may be plugged up. If you remove the upper most part of the intakle where the EGR bolts to, you will see the passages that get plugged, clean them out with carb cleaner and a brush and it should take care of the problem

Jack42
I cleaned the area. I replaced the egr valve. I still get a 401 code for insuficient flow. Could it be the vacuum is leaking? How much vacuum should there be? I can feel a small amount of vacuum but I'm not sure it is enough to open the valve. How can I tell?
Frank

Frank Collins
A P0401 code is usually the DPFE sensor. Ford is really bad about those failing.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s214/way2old1/2000dpfe.jpg

Way2old
Did you apply the EGR at idle to see what happens? Ifit doesnt cause theengine to stumble hard, or almost die the ports INSIDE the intake where the valve bolts up are plugged. The DPFEs do go bad, but the passages also get plugged easily on those, and to clean them out doesnt cost anything but time

Jack42