DOES NOT START, DIES

2000 Ford Crown Victoria

Computer problem
2000 Ford Crown Victoria V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 110000 miles

Sometimes It doesn't start after driving it. It has died in traffic (idle) once. At first this happened every once in a long while. Now it happens regularly. After letting it sit for different lengths of time it starts no problem. Today, for example, when I returned to it, it wouldn't start but after trying it periodically for 45 minutes, it started up like there was nothing wrong with it. When I pulled away, I smelled strong fumes of some kind.
Jcarter72

If it refuses to start don't wait for nothing- do below to find out if its fuel or spark problem that's causing it not to start-something has to give.

Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine atleast 3/16 away from ground-have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, cap and rotor, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it and keep testing.