CARS' ACTIONS, AND DESCRIPTION OF THE PRO

1995 Ford Contour

1995 Ford Contour 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 123000 miles

i have a 1995 ford contour GL, it seemed to be ok when I first purchased it. Seemed as if the engine? Was reved up to high, never bothered it to be reved down. Then I noticed that the check engine light was coming on and stayed on for a while then would go of then rusume being on. I purchased the car one week ago from a private seller, one I got home my boyfriend said if would shake really bad while driving at higher speeds. Higher than 45mph. So he took it 2 a mechanic and they rotated the tires and said that I had bad tires, bought used ones and kept 1 bad one and one that was ok. Swo left one day and it kept shutting off and eventually wouldn't start. So took it to another mechanic and they said it needed rewiring. Upon looking at the stuff under hood all of the wires were very died out looking and would crumble to the touch which exsposed raw wiring and think it may be through out the car and something may be touching and that's why the car isn't performing at least decently. Please let me have your opinion on this matter so I can get it fixed. I was quoted 1300 from the ford company. Trying to get this ddone professionally, but the fee is outrageous! HELP!

My suggestion is to skim through phone book and try to get a bunch of quotes. Because of the age of the car, the Ford dealership is going to charge out of the butt. I remember I went to dealership, becasue I got into an accident which ended up ripping off my driver side mirror, and they were going to charge me $300 for it. Just the one side! So, I went to a junkyard, and got one for $60. Don't always settle for the dealership, trust me, you'll get ripped off. As for the Check Engine light, it's probably nothing. It might just be a sensor, because I have the same problem. It goes on and off all the time, sometimes it stays on, sometimes it dosen't. But, eventually, the wiring will rot. I've had so much wiring rot and crumble to the touch. But, like I said, try to get cheaper quotes elsewhere.

Tammybrown28
Another thing I forgot to mention, if you have the wheels that were originally on the car, the best bet is to replace all 4. Those tires were recalled years ago due to the beads or something blowing on the tires. I had to get rid of mine, that has to do with the shaking. If you keep driving on them, it's just a matter of time before the wheels explode on you.

Tammybrown28