RUNS FINE, THEN SUDDENLY WON'T START AT

1994 Ford Aerostar

1994 Ford Aerostar 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 175000 miles

Ford Aerostar Van 175,000 miles. Been having issues with it not wanting to run but only when it's cold. What is odd about it is that I can drive it for a week straight with no issues whatsoever, then the following day I can go out to start it and nothing. It tries to turn over but after several attempts of pushing on the accellerator it slowly loses power then there's no hope of starting it at all. After it sits for a few days and I go out to start it, it runs perfectly. We have replaced the temprature sensor for the engine, as well as the fuel filter because we thought the engine wasn't getting the proper amount of fuel. Antifreeze is always topped off and use high mileage synthetic oil at every oil change. Have replaced the battery with a brand new one. Seems to do better if we stick a heater under it for about 15 minutes. Any ideas or suggestions as to what might be going on? My boyfriend is very good at fixing vehicles but this even has him stumped.
Usawoman7798