A/C WORKS FINE AT 45 MPH UP

2006 Ford 500

Air Conditioning problem
2006 Ford 500 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 80000 miles

My A/C does not cool at low rates of speed. Refrigerant is fine IAW two shops. The car is 3 years old. The two shops say it must be the Air Compressor. Also it souds like a vent on the right hand side of dash is getting stuck. You can here the clicking sound every time you start the A/C but it goes away. I have a 2001 taurus with 200k miles and a 1997 F150 100K with original A/C. What gives?
Ford 4 ever

Diagnosing a failed compressor shouldn't be too hard for a shop if they actually put a set of gauges on it.

But I have some questions. What happens if you manually put the transmission in to 1st gear and drive at like 3500rpm? If it's a compressor problem, then it should be cooling out of the vents.

But if doing 70mph in 4th gear is what it take for the AC to cool, then i'm leaning towards some type of air flow restriction up front at the condenser (the little radiator looking thing in front of your real radiator)

Buddycraigg
Car is Automatic. In neutral 3000 rpms A/c is cooler than idle. When speed exceeds 35mph A/C is cooler. I am looking also at a possible Blend door issue.

Ford 4 ever
That could be a bad compressor.
Need to know what the high side and low side pressures are to be for sure.

Do you trust the two shops you had look at it?

Buddycraigg
It is hard to trust in this day in age. This is why I asked your opinion. I was quoted between $800-1200. $600 just for compressor a/clutches.

Ford 4 ever
Picture a cow with a halo around it's head.

HOLY COW.

600 for the compressor?

I might even get a forth or fifth opinion at that price.

Buddycraigg