COOLANT EMPTY

2002 Fiat Stilo

Engine Cooling problem
2002 Fiat Stilo Front Wheel Drive Manual 79000 miles

i have a 02 fiat stilo 1.8 dynamic.
today I was about 5-10 miles from home. On my way back I went on the some carriageways going a top speed of around 50-60. I was going to the local asda before I got home. Just as I was down the road from the asda car park I started to smell a burning smell. Then about a min after I was at the traffic lights waiting to turn into the car park when some steam came from under the bonnet. I turned into the carpark and pulled up to check. The engine heat gauge in the car was at half so it didnt over heat. Soon as I stopped loads of steam came out from the engine. I popped the hood and saw the engine coolant was totally empty. I just had the car serviced the end of june and no there was enough in there. I let the car cool down and left it there for 2 hrs. Then I got back in to go home and the engine was making a loud noise and sounded worse then a tractor. Soon as I got home I put some more engine coolant in but I only had a little bit. All the car shops are closed until tomorrow. Will filling the coolant be enough or has the engine had it? Help please im really worried
Gupy88

You could have damaged the engine by running it home with no coolant in the motor. You need to have it inspected by a repair tech.

Dave H