REPLACE HEAD GASKET

2000 Fiat Punto

2000 Fiat Punto 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 55,000 miles

I broke down a couple of weeks ago and had to call the RAC out. The RAC guy had a look at the engine and told me he suspected the head gasket had blown. I had the car repaired by a mechanic who charged me £300 to replace the head gasket parts.

Thinking I was safe I headed off to Yorkshire at the weekend - only to breakdown again (on the motorway) again I called the RAC who said again he suspected it was the head gasket. On monday I took the car back to the mechanc who intitially fixed it for me -. Tuesday I had a call telling me it is the core plug which needs replacing and although he has ordered the part it will take a few days to arrive. Obviously I am going to be charged again for this repair which I am totally unhappy about. My argument is; I feel he should have spotted any other problems whilst mending the head gasket? I feel that this mechanic is taken advantage of me as a woman as I do not know the first thing about the mechanics of a car. I know I don't have a temperature gauge but the temperature light came on the second time I broke down - the first time I had no inclining until the engine started making funny noises. Am I right to be suspicious of this mechanic or am I just unlucky? Thank you for your time Marie
Marielamb

Hi there,

Often core plugs are hard to see even with the head off, and if the head gasket was blown a core plug would show signs of leaking coolant with the cooling system pressure test when the job was finished, core plugs do corrode from the inside out, so a rusty plug that has been painted would only show when it failed, as long as the cooling system was holding pressure when the car was returned to you there would be no reason to suspect a impending core plug failure.

Mhpautos