NEW ALTERNATOR NOT WORKING

1991 Eagle Summit

1991 Eagle Summit 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 140000 miles

just bought a new alternator, had a little trouble attaching the metal band to the post on the alternator cause it was in a slightly different location.
however I got it installed, with all the plugs on and when I jump the car, it dies in 10 minutes, or less if I turn on the lights. I am at a loss
Ramza666

HI there,

With the engine running, check the Voltage at the main alternator terminal, check it with the car at around 1500 RPM, report back the reading for more advice.

Mhpautos
Which is the main terminal

Ramza666
I dont have a voltage tester.

Ramza666
When I jump the car, and let it run, I believe that if the alternator was functioning it should run without the battery. However when I remove the battery cable, the car dies. Does this mean that my alternator is installed incorrectly?

Ramza666
HI there,

You should never run the engine with the battery disconnected, you can cook the ECU so easily and do other electrical damage, but as you have done so, it only shows that the battery voltage is enough to run the required systems, you will need to get the alternator readings so I can sort out your problem.

Mhpautos