SHIFT LEVER IS STUCK

2001 Dodge Van

2001 Dodge Van V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 105000 miles

2001 full size dodge ram van 1500 conversion van. There is a recall for a gear shift lever blocker that will keep the vehicle from being taken out of park without a key that I have not had replaced. That said, my vehicle has had occasional problems and now it seems to be a permanent problem regarding the following: The vehicle has not been driven for about a month and when started, the column mounted shift lever will not come out of 'park'. Is this related to the recall, or is it a relay, brake switch or some other problem that I can fix? Or is it the gear shift blocker? Where would this part be located? I am currently on unemployment and have no extra money for a repair I could do myself. Please respond. Thank you.
Tomjoy7

Welcome to my world of the unemployed!

The recall you're refering to is RC-G28-07, but it sounds like it doesn't apply here. It pertains to being able to remove the key without putting the shift lever in park, and being able to move the shift lever out of park without inserting the key.

This is a safety recall which means there will be no cost to you, and the parts are warrantied for the life of the vehicle. Having the parts replaced might solve your problem. You might ask the dealer if the recall will cover a tow if you can't get it out of park. The repair should take about an hour.