STEERING GEAR LEAK

Dodge Truck

Hello. I have a 1995 Dodge Ram 1500 (4WD half ton) with a 360 (5.9 L) and 109,000 miles. There is a pretty bad fluid leak coming from my steering gear box. I am certain it is neither the pump nor the lines that are leaking, because the fluid is coming right out the bottom of the gear box (where the pitman arm attaches). After topping off the fluid, adding Lucas power steering additive, and driving 5 minutes, the pump reservoir was already half empty. I am fairly sure that it is a faulty gear, and I want to either replace it or rebuild it, however, before I remove it, I want to be absolutely certain that it is in fact the gear that is bad. Is there any other part or component that could be causing the leak, other than the gear itself? This couldn't possibly be a pump issue, or something else I don't know about, could it? I would appreciate an email, as soon as somebody gets a chance to help. Thank you for your time.

Chris Martinez
martinez.129@gmail. Com
(970) 310-9217
Martinez.129

I would replace the sector shaft seal in the gearbox before doing anything else