PULLING TO THE RIGHT AND THE TIRE IS

2008 Dodge Truck

Tires and Wheels problem
2008 Dodge Truck

Hi! I was driving my dodge ram truck yesterday when it started to pull to the right. I thought it was a flat, so I pulled over to check. The tire itself was fine, but there was smoke coming from behind the tire that smelled horrible. I dove home (less than a mile) very very slow.

Any ideas what this could be? Do I take this to a tire place or could it be the brakes?

I really appreciate the help!

Jennifer
Jenmorris

This is a brake problem. Being so new, is it possible the brake fluid is contaminated with petroleum product? A very small amount of power steering fluid, engine oil, or transmission fluid will cause the seals in the master cylinder to swell preventing the brake fluid from returning to the reservoir. The trapped fluid will keep the brakes applied, and they'll apply harder and harder as the fluid warms up and expands. You can prove this is happening by opening the bleeder screw. If a small spurt of fluid pops out, and the brake releases, suspect fluid contamination. ALL rubber parts must be replaced and the steel lines must be flushed and dried. If you have anti-lock brakes, the hydraulic assembly must be replaced too because it is full of rubber o-ring seals.

There are other possible causes for a dragging brake, but they're not likely to occur on a one-year-old truck.