HEATER BLOWING COLD AIR

2002 Dodge Stratus

Heater problem
2002 Dodge Stratus 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 150000 miles

I have just put 50/50 coolant in the car and it stayed warm for a day now the heater only blows on the highest settings and it is blowing out cold air. I had the thermostat and water pump replaced last year. I need to know what could cause this problem? I am at work right now but I have yahoo messenger and the screen name is neubianqueen64 if you wish to respond by text. Thanks for your response.
LadyCeCe

Why did you add coolant? If it was low, that's probably causing insufficient flow through the heater core. You need to address the loss of coolant issue. If you drained and replaced the coolant as a maintenance thing, there is most likely an air pocket that hasn't worked its way out, or it did work its way out and now the system is low.

Many of the 4 cylinder engines need to be burped after refilling the cooling system. Sometimes the coolant will start to flow on its own but it's not worth risking overheating the engine. A plug or temperature sensor must be removed from the thermostat housing to allow the air to escape and coolant to reach the thermostat. Then the system must be topped off with additional coolant to fill the radiator and have some extra in the overflow reservoir.

The first thing to be affected from low coolant is the heater. If that's not the case, feel the two heater hoses after the engine is warmed up. They should be too hot to hold onto for very long. If they are hot, but you still get cold air, suspect a problem with the heater / ac computer. Everything imaginable is computerized on newer cars, and they are very unreliable and trouble-prone.