2004 Dodge Srt-4 Repair Question
Radiator fans not working period
2004 Dodge Srt-4 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 78000 miles
Im stuck...I have an 04 Srt-4 and the Radiator Fans Havent been working period and with the California heat its making my car overheat quickly at idle. Ive taken the car to a shop and had a dianogstic ran on the cooling system. They put straight power to Radiator fan motors and they came on no problems. He told me it was a wiring problem between the Motor and the relay.Well i went to Auto Zone found out i had a bad radiator fan fuse and replaced it .No change.I turned the A/C on hot and cold ..Hot the fans kicked on for 2 secs literally and cold absolutely nothing . I have a High and Low and Control Relay for the radiator and i changed the Control , no change..I then pulled the fans out ..Pulled the wiring harness that hooks into the fan motor and the wiring harness looks pretty banged up .Took it to auto zone read the connectors out each side put out 15.5 volts ..so im assuming with them all being relatively the same that it was working ..We pulled a Regular Dodge Neon Haynes Manual off the shelf assuming that the wiring harness isnt much different..There next step was the Engine Cooling Temperature Sensor that comes out of the block ..pretty simple fix next they said check the computer.But everything else in the car works and no codes ..And im not one for throwing parts at a car..Im out of ideas and would like some sort of help
Have you checked the 30 amp fuse #6?
I changed the number 6 fuse a week ago and its blown again . I had someone tell me that since i had a bunch of exposed wires on the wiring harness that it could be rubbing against something and shorting it out..But i dont know all the reasons that a Fuse like that would blow if there not working to begin with. Another person told me to let my car run until it starts to over heat and feel the bottom radiator line and if its hot then its my t-stat. Or could it be full of air ?
1 question asked
The fuse blows because the circuit is overloaded for some reason. It could be a short to ground from bare wires but it could also be just a bad blower motor drawing too much current. These are things that have to be tested.
Well Ive read out the wiring harness twice and that has came back good both times. The motors on the fan themselves had power put directly to them and work just fine..How would u determine if its drawing too much current ? Just a High Ohm Read ? Ive been looking for a pretty accurate wiiring diagram online but I havent had a whole lot of work yet, and i dont fully trust a regular Neon Repair Manual just yet
1 question asked
You can measure the current draw using an ammeter.