VACUUM LEAK OR OBSTRUCTION??

1991 Dodge Spirit

1991 Dodge Spirit 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 90000 miles

Thanks to the Viet-Nam Vet for the previous info. Since my last post on 4/22.I looked at a manual. Doesn't do a very good job of illustrating vacuum hoses and EGR valve. I DID pull a vacuum hose on the left side of intake manifold just above the thermostat assembly. When I disconnected it. The engine ran fine. However, there is a big sucking sound from the fitting where the vacuum line was connected. I traced this line down to the left inside corner of engine compartment near the left headlight (as you're standing in front of vehicle looking toward the engine compartment). THe vacuum line goes to a black valve assembly of some sort. Inside of that is a spring loaded, rubber diaphram. I don't know what that is. So, that's where I'm at. The anti-vacuum leak? The moment you connect the line. It shuts down again. Help!

TG
Also Viet-Nam Vet
USMC
Tommyg_one

Is this the charcoal canister that you are refering to?