STALLING IN REVERSE AND DOWN SHIFTS WHEN

1992 Dodge Shadow

1992 Dodge Shadow 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 70000 miles

Hi I just had my water pump and 3 belts replaced for 272.00and not even a day later the car is acting up it doesnt want to go it putts then when you are goin it down shifts when driving at a steady speed it kinda acts like there is no gas but the tank is full and sometimes the check engine light comes on and if you put it in reverse it wants to satll if you dont give it gas real quick
Myadasia3262

The Check Engine light means the Engine Computer has detected a problem and stored a diagnostic fault code in memory. Have your mechanic read the code(s). That will indicate the circuit or system with the problem, not necessarily the defective part.

If you want to try to read the codes yourself, it is by far the easiest to do on Chrysler products. All that's required is to cycle the ignition switch between " off" and " run" three times in five seconds, then leave it in " run" without ever cranking the engine. Then you count the flashes of the Check Engine light. It will flash two-digit codes as a series of flashes with a short pause between the first and second digit, and a longer pause between each code. If you can get those codes, post them in your reply.

HI again I am going to see if I can get the codes for you but I wanted to tell you that I just filled the tank up and the check engine light turned off. It still idling high but the putting stoped but as soon as the gas gets low it will happen again. You think its the fuel filter?

Myadasia3262
Don't waste your money on a fuel filter. Other than on diesel trucks, they will never solve a running problem on a Chrysler product. The largest volume of fuel goes through the filter during coasting. Most of that fuel goes through the pressure regulator and right back into the tank. Only a tiny taste is syphoned off to go through the injectors into the engine.

Even though the Check Engine light went off, the codes are still in memory. They should be read soon though because if the problem doesn't come back, the computer will automatically erase them after 50 engine starts. That's one to two weeks for most people. Once they're erased, that valuable diagnostic inormation will be lost.