BROKEN HALF-SHAFT

1989 Dodge Shadow

Other Category problem
1989 Dodge Shadow 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 60000 miles

I recently had the half-shaft on the passenger side replaced because it was making a lot of noise. I was told then that the driver's side could fail at any time. It began to make a noise every once in a while about a week later. Then while pulling out of my parking space, it made a terrible noise and the car stopped moving. I am assuming that the CV joint totally failed and I need to replace the half-shaft. Now my real question is this: When I pushed the car back into place, I noticed that even in park, the car does not hold. My parking space is on a incline, and it would not hold. I had to put blocks behind the back wheels. Is this to be expected when the driver side fails? Or, is there probably a further problem? I think I can replace the half-shaft, but if it is something more expensive than that, then I will probably replace the car. Thanks

Dave
Bramwell

No its normal the axle holds the front wheels locked together in park. If the axle is broken you have no park. Replace the axle and you will be fine.

Mastertechtim