HELP! VAN ONLY RUNS WITH IGNITION HELD IN START POS.

Dodge Ram

1983 Dodge Ram350 15-passenger van with 62,000 miles. 318ci. Auto transmission

Okay, I've talked to a lot of mechanics about this, my dad included, and me being sort of a mechanic should know a little more than I do. But I'm really stumped with this one.

my van started having problems about 2 months ago. It would run fine for about 25-30 mins, then die, then if I let it sit for about 15 mins, it would start and run again. When it would die, it would only run with the ignition held in the start position, and would drive, but soon as I let off in the run position, it would die.

now, it wont run at all unless ignition is held in the start position. Initially I thought it was a coil problem, I've changed two of those, still did the same thing, so I went to the ignition switch, and bypassed it by running a hot wire from the battery to the coil, still didn't work. I've checked almost every connection I can think of, ground wires, fuses, switches, etc, and I still can't find anything. Now, I'm considering it to be the ignition control module, the external resistor, or something with the distributor.

any help or advice would be appreciated. I am having the control module tested this weekend. If that is not the problem then I am clueless.

Thanks!

Tucker from Oklahoma
Tucker9681

I say ignition switch. It may only have 62000 miles on it but how many times has it been started sence 83. Sounds like a short trip ride, like to the store and back.

Vandragon
It has been started and driven quite a bit. Used to be a church van, then YMCA van, then a rock band mobile. Who knows. It may be ignition, may be control module. At least its narrowed down now. Thanks!

Tucker9681