EVAPORATIVE EMISSIONS

Dodge Ram

I drive a 2000 4wd Dodge Ram 1500 5.2 V8 with a major evap leak according to the trouble code. I checked all the hoses and they seem to be fine. The only potential problem that I can find is that in the rear of the vehicle there are 2 canisters. The more rear canister is round and the forward canister is cubical w/rounded edges. They are attached together by a hose. Anyway, the forward canister has a lid on the bottom that was loose and with a little tug it came right off. Could this be the source of the leak? The lid won't go back on with enough authority to convince me it isn't just going to fall off if I drive. How would I go about affixing the lid and getting a good seal? Do I have to replace the entire canister?
Siletz

Yup you have to replace the canister, and if it was loose before you tugged on it this is probably where a major part of your problem is, im not saying there isnt more wrong, because the pcm picks up small leaks too but its a good place to start, replace the canister and reset the computer

CHEVYII