96 TROUBLE CODES

1996 Dodge Ram

I have a 96 Dodge Ram 1500, 6 cylinder. It is a 5 speed with 86500 miles on it. My check engine light has come on and I did a basic code check using my ignition key (on, off, on, off then on) and looked up the result in my Haynes manual. The results were:
CODE 12 (Problem with battery connection. Direct battery imput to PCM disconnected within last 50 ignition key-on cycles) and CODE 43 (Peak primary circuit current not achieved with the maximum dwell time). I have no idea what these mean. I have read some of the other posts and will go to Autozone to see if they will scan it with their OBD scanner, but in the meantime, I was hoping you may be able to help. For a bit of history, I can tell you that I was very low on gas (fumes only!) When the light came on. After I filled the tank, I began driving and the truck didn't seem to want to go (in 1st gear only), so I held in the clutch and reved it up then released the clutch again and tried to proceed. I did this several times and it hesitated, lurched forward and backfired a couple times. Finally it seemed to correct itself and ran fine, however, everytime I start the engine now and try to drive, it does this. This problem happen several times last year as well, but I also had several other issues with the truck. When I finished fixing them, this problem seemed to stop. Thank you so much for your time. Any assistance you can provide will be greatly appreaciated.

PS: I also had an electrical fire last year (at the same time as the other problems). The fire was a result of a faulty headlight switch and destroyed my entire wire harness under the dash and in the engine compartment (firewall end only). The dealership installed a new switch & wire harness and the insurance company paid the bill so that worked out fine but I wanted to mention that situation because I saw in several posts that people were having problems with tail lights, etc. Not working after the bulbs and fuses checked out OK. Also, there was a recall on some component involving the headlight switches that was causing the switch to short out which caused various lights to malfunction and eventually lead to an electrical fire.
Mydodgeramrules