94 5.9

1994 Dodge Ram

I have a 94 Dodge Ram 1500, 5.9L V8, 2WD, 201,000 miles. I had to take my left head off due to a broken bolt while putting on headers, after puting my engine back together it idles fine but when I start driving it starts making a crackling noise on that side, it has a big power loss, and transmission doesn't shift right. I've changed distributor and button, spark plugs, and necessary gaskets while assembling the engine. It ran great before. What could be wrong and how can I check it?
Jonathan.gibson

The head wasn't put back on correctly. Perhaps the gasket slipped and you have a huge internal leak between cyls. Did you use an OEM gasket set.

Also the intake manifold might be leaking causing the same problem.

Carefully take it back apart and check the intake set up very carefully. I bet you have a gasket that is out of line. Hopefully, it isn't the head.

Losone
94 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9L V8, 2wd, 201,000. I tore my engine back apart and replaced all my gaskets again and checked my vacuum lines and it still has the same problems so I checked my codes and it gave me a code 37 twice. The book says code 37 is Torque converter clutch solenoid CKT or Trans temp sensor too high or low. Is there any way to check these things and could this be making my truck run that bad?

Jonathan.gibson
Code 37 is usually the temp circuit that won't let the tranny go into OD until the tranny is warm. I have by passed that circuit a lot of time.

The 5.9 is usually a bullet prove old proven engine and I don't understand what could be happening. I wish I was there looking at the engine.

Let's try one more thing Take out #1 plug and hand bring the cyl to TDC. (#1 is the cyl head that sticks out the farthest). I put a long screw driver in the plug hole and feel the piston at the top. Check your front pully timing mark and make sure it is Exactly on TDC.

Make sure the rotor points to number one cyl in the distributer cap.

I want to eliminate all timing issues. Let me know!

Losone