4.7 COLD WEATHER IDLE PROBLEM

2005 Dodge Ram

Hi,

I have a Dodge RAM 1500 4.7 V8 with 5 speed auto transmission. It has 19,000 miles. This is the 2nd winter I have owned the truck and the 1st of this problem. When the temperature falls below 32F upon low RPM acceleration 1200 or so, the transmission shifts up and down one gear for a few seconds. Once the truck has been running a bit and gets warmed up a little the problem goes away. Upon start the idle appears to be in the correct range i.E. 700 and does not drop to 400 like other Dodge problems I have read about. No codes are being given and I’ve called the dealer and they don’t have any advice on what this issue is or how to correct it other than bring it in and will see if we can re-create it……… Any ideas?

Thanks,
Harry M.
Harrym

The trans problem could just be temp related. Check for TSB's. The idle could be the IAC motor noy liking the cold. Im in socal, when it got cold a little bit back (right around freezing) my IAC motor in my Chevy truck started having a cow.I removed it, cleaned it and lubed it with a drop of motor oil. Dont know if the oil helped, but it hasnt done it since and we had ice 2 days ago.

Jack42
IAC Valve was Carboned Up with only 20,000 miles on engine. Dodge is telling dealership that this service may have to be done every 30K at a cost of $130.00.

They suggested it may been result of bad fuel, however, I always go with brand name?

Harrym
Instead, lets spend 5 bucks on a can of carb or brake cleaner. Remove the IAC and clean it yourself

Jack42