MISFIRES

2002 Dodge Ram

2002 Dodge Ram V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 58845 miles

My truck its been shaking since I bought it. At the beginning I did a tune up, plugs, wires, cap and rotor. But still the same I check for codes and found 3 misfires on 2, 7 and 8. I erased them, ran it and checked again an gave me 4 misfires in cilinders 1, 3, 5, and 8. I did a compression test but everything is normal. I don't think is the injectors because of the different misfires. I'm starting to think is a sensor problem even though I don't get a check engine light. Can you help me?
Walter bernal

I'm not saying this is definatly the entire problem, but there is a new reflash for your truck's PCM, if it's a 4.7? Have a look at this TSB and you tell me!
FLASH: ENGINE IDLE FLUCTUATION -2002 Dodge Pickup R1500
Page 1 of 5
FLASH: ENGINE IDLE FLUCTUATION
TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN
Reference Number(s): 18-036-03,  Date of Issue:   October 10, 2003
Related Ref Number(s): 18-036-03
ARTICLE BEGINNING
SUBJECT
GROUP: Vehicle Performance
NOTE: THIS BULLETIN IS BEING PROVIDED IN ADVANCE. THE SOFTWARE WILL BE AVAILABLE ON TechCONNECT ON OR AFTER OCT. 27, 2003.
Flash: Engine Idle Fluctuation
OVERVIEW
This bulletin involves selectively erasing and reprogramming the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) with new software.
MODELS
2002 (DR) Ram Truck
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with a 4.7L engine (Sales Code EVA) and a 5 speed manual transmission (Sales Code DDC).
SYMPTOM/CONDITION
The customer may experience the engine idle fluctuating.
DIAGNOSIS
Using a Scan Tool (DRBIII(R)) with the appropriate Diagnostic Procedures Manual, verify all engine systems are functioning as designed. If DTCs are present record them on the repair order and repair as necessary before proceeding further with this bulletin. If the customer describes the Symptom/Condition, perform the Repair Procedure.
PARTS REQUIRED
PARTS INFORMATION
Qty. Part No. 1 04275086AB Label, Authorized Modification Description

10/30/2008
Page 2 of 5
SPECIAL TOOLS/EQUIPMENT REQUIRED
 NPN Battery Charger
 CH2002 General Purpose Interface Bus Cable Assembly
 CH6000A Scan Tool (DRBIII(R))
 CH7000A/7001A J1962 Cable with red DRBIII(R) connector
 TechCONNECT PC
NOTE: An updated J1962 cable has been released. This cable has a red colored connector at the DRBIII(R) connection. Use this cable whenever a flash is being performed.
REPAIR PROCEDURE
NOTE: Whenever a controller is programmed, the software in the DRBIII(R); must be programmed with the latest revision level available.
NOTE: If this flash process is interrupted/aborted, the flash should be restarted and then follow the directions on the DRBIII(R).
1. With the ignition switch in the " RUN" position, determine the original part number of the PCM currently in the vehicle. Using the DRBIII(R) select: A.&Quot; DRBIII(R) Standalone" B.&Quot; 1998 - 2004 Diagnostics" C.&Quot; All (Except Below)" D.&Quot; Engine" E.&Quot; Module Display" F. Record the first ten (10) characters of the " PCM part #" on the repair order for later reference.
NOTE: If the PCM is not operational, the part number can be obtained from the label on the old controller. If the label on the controller is not legible, proceed to next step.
2. Page back to the " Main Menu". 3. Determine if the vehicle is equipped with SKIM. Using the DRBIII(R) select: A.&Quot; DRBIII Standalone" B.&Quot; 1998 - 2004 Diagnostics" C.&Quot; All" D.&Quot; System Monitor" E.&Quot; J1850 Module Scan" F. Look for " SKIM" in the list of modules. 4. If the vehicle is equipped with SKIM obtain the vehicle Personal Identification Number (PIN)

10/30/2008
Page 3 of 5
before continuing with step 5. This information is available from one of the following: A. The original selling invoice. B. The DealerCONNECT system under the " Sales" or " Parts" tabs - select " Key Codes". C. By contacting the District Manager.
CAUTION: Failure to install the SKIM pin number into the module after flashing the PCM will cause a start and stall condition.
5. Open the hood, install a battery charger and verify battery state is above 11.5 volts. 6. If the old " PCM part #" is known, proceed to step 12. If the old " PCM part #" is not known, proceed to next step. 7. On DealerCONNECT select the " Service" tab. 8. Select " Vehicle Information Plus". 9. Manually enter the VIN and mileage and select " Enter". 10. Select the " Vehicle Option" tab. 11. Under the " Vehicle Option" window, identify and record: A. Engine (sales code and description). B. Emissions (Federal or California) C. Transmission (Automatic, 5-speed manual, etc.). 12. Connect the DRBIII(R) to TechCONNECT and the vehicle. Open TechTOOLS and verify that the " DRBIII(R) Status: Connected" message is in the upper right corner of the TechTOOLS screen. 13. TechTOOLS should automatically populate the VIN in the " Vehicle Criteria" area and the available updates. If not, manually enter the VIN then TechTOOLS will populate the available updates. 14. Determine the proper calibration: A. If the old " PCM part #" is known, enter the part number of the old controller in the " Parts Criteria" p/n window. Proceed to step 15. B. If the old " PCM part #" is not known, select the correct calibration based on the information that was recorded from " Vehicle Options" in step 11. Proceed to step 16. 15. Select the correct calibration. 16. Select the " Download/Update" button. 17. Monitor the " Flash Download/Update Progress" window on the TechCONNECT and follow the instructions on TechCONNECT/DRBIII(R). When the flash process is completed, proceed to next step. 18. Enter the VIN in the PCM. Using the DRBIII(R) select: A.&Quot; DRBIII Standalone" B.&Quot; 1998 - 2004 Diagnostics" C.&Quot; All" D.&Quot; Engine" E.&Quot; Miscellaneous" F.&Quot; Check VIN" 10/30/2008
Page 4 of 5
G. If the vehicle is not equipped with SKIM proceed to step 18h. If the vehicle is equipped with SKIM follow the directions on the DRBIII(R). When the VIN and SKIM key has been programmed, proceed to step 19. H. Enter the VIN as requested by the DRBIII(R). 19. Update the PCM mileage. Using the DRBIII(R) select: A.&Quot; DRBIII(R) Standalone" B.&Quot; 1998 - 2004 Diagnostics" C.&Quot; All (Except Below)" D.&Quot; Engine" E.&Quot; Miscellaneous" F.&Quot; Check PCM Odometer" G.&Quot; NO" H. Enter the current odometer mileage and then press " Enter". I. Cycle the ignition key to the OFF position and back to the ON position and then press " Enter".
NOTE: Due to the PCM programming procedure, a DTC may be set in other modules (TCM, BCM, MIC, SKIM, etc.) Within the vehicle, if so equipped. Some DTC's may cause the MIL to illuminate. Check all modules using " Module Scan", record the DTC's, and erase these DTC's prior to returning the vehicle to the customer. Erase any DTC's in the PCM only after all other modules have had their DTC's erased.
NOTE: The following step is required by law.
20. Type the necessary information on the " Authorized Modification Label" p/n 04275086AB and attach near the VECI label (Fig. 1 ).
Fig. 1: Authorized Modification Label
POLICY
Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.
TIME ALLOWANCE
TIME ALLOWANCE Labor Operation No. Description Amount 08-19-38-98 Reprogram Powertrain Control Module 0.6 Hrs.
FAILURE CODE
FM Flash Module

10/30/2008
Page 5 of 5

10/30/2008

Merlin2021
If not your problem, it can bt the crank, cam sensors, or any of these!
SELF-DIAGNOSTICS -2002 Dodge Pickup R1500
Page 1 of 3
DTC P0300: MULTIPLE CYLINDER MISFIRE, DTC P0301: CYLINDER NO. 1 MISFIRE, DTC P0302: CYLINDER NO. 2 MISFIRE, DTC P0303: CYLINDER NO. 3 MISFIRE, DTC P0304: CYLINDER NO. 4 MISFIRE, DTC P0305: CYLINDER NO. 5 MISFIRE, DTC P0306: CYLINDER NO. 6 MISFIRE, DTC P0307: CYLINDER NO. 7 MISFIRE OR DTC P0308: CYLINDER NO. 8 MISFIRE

NOTE: DTCs listed above are diagnosed using the same test. For component location, see COMPONENT LOCATIONS. For connector identification, see CONNECTOR IDENTIFICATION. For circuit identification and wiring diagram, see WIRING DIAGRAMS article. If Powertrain Control Module (PCM) is replaced, PCM must be reprogrammed. See PROGRAMMING. After each repair procedure has been completed, reconnect all components. Perform FUEL SYSTEM/MISFIRE MONITOR VERIFICATION TEST under VERIFICATION TESTS to ensure system is functioning properly.

Monitor & Set Conditions
Cylinder misfire is monitored with engine running, after successfully performing Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor learn procedure. DTC will be stored in Powertrain Control Module (PCM) memory when PCM senses more than a one percent misfire rate is measured during 2 trips or with a 6-30 percent misfire rate during one trip. DTC P0300 is set when a misfire on multiple cylinders has been detected. DTCs P0301-P0308 are set when a misfire has been detected on a specific cylinder. For misfire DTC identification, see CYLINDER MISFIRE IDENTIFICATION table.
CYLINDER MISFIRE IDENTIFICATION DTC P0300 P0301 P0302 P0303 P0304 P0305 P0306 P0307 P0308
Cylinder No.
(1) 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
(1) This DTC is set when misfires are detected on multiple cylinders.

Possible Causes
 Intermittent Misfire
 Secondary Ignition
 Engine Mechanical Problem
 Fuel System Problem

10/30/2008
Page 2 of 3
 Erratic Camshaft Position (CMP) Or Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor Signals
 Other Possible Causes For Misfire
 PCM

Testing
1. Using the DRBIII(R), select DTCs and RELATED FUNCTIONS. Read and record the FREEZE FRAME DATA. Select OBD II MONITORS. Read and record the MISFIRE SIMILAR CONDITIONS WINDOW DATA. With these screens, attempt to duplicate the condition(s) that has set this DTC. When the vehicle is operating in the SIMILAR CONDITIONS WINDOW, refer to the WHICH CYLINDER IS MISFIRING screen. Observe the WHICH CYLINDER IS MISFIRING screen for at least one minute. Is the DRBIII(R) counting misfires at this time? If yes, go to next step. If no, go to step 8. 2. Using the DRBIII(R), read the FREEZE FRAME DATA. Use the FREEZE FRAME DATA and attempt to determine the cause of the Misfire DTC. In the FREEZE FRAME DATA, is the LOAD VALUE over 50% and the operating temperature normal? If yes, check secondary ignition components and perform a cylinder leakage test. If no, go to next step. 3. Check for any of the following conditions/mechanical problems:  Engine vacuum must be at least 13 in. Hg in Neutral.
 Engine valve timing must be within specifications.
 Engine compression must be within specifications.
 Cylinder leakage test must be within specifications.
 Cam lobes must not be worn excessively.
 Valve springs must not be weak or broken.
 Engine PCV system must flow freely.
 Torque converter stall speed must be within specifications.
 Power brake booster must be free of any internal vacuum leaks.
 Fuel must be free of contamination.
 Fuel Injectors must not be plugged or restricted and Fuel Injector/control wires must not be connected to an incorrect Fuel Injector. Are there any engine mechanical problems? If yes, repair as necessary. If no, go to step. 4. Using the DRBIII(R), read the FREEZE FRAME DATA. Use the FREEZE FRAME DATA and attempt to determine the cause of the Misfire DTC. In the FREEZE FRAME, are the adaptive fuel percentages greater than plus or minus 15 percent? If yes, check fuel delivery. See FUEL SYSTEMS in appropriate SYSTEM & COMPONENT TESTING article. If no, go to next step. 5. Using the DRBIII(R), read the FREEZE FRAME DATA. Use the FREEZE FRAME DATA and attempt to determine the cause of the Misfire DTC. In the FREEZE FRAME DATA, is the engine RPM over 3000 and the operating temperature normal? If yes, test CMP and CKP Sensor Signals using a lab scope. Check valve timing and perform running vacuum test. If no, go to next step. 6. Check following items for possible causes of cylinder misfire.
 Injector Harness Connectors
 Secondary Ignition
 Engine Mechanical Problem

10/30/2008
Page 3 of 3
 PCM Power Or Grounds
 Irregular CMP Sensor Signal
 Irregular CKP Sensor Signal
 Restricted Exhaust
 Carbon Build-Up On Valves
 Contaminated Fuel
 Intake Restriction
 Damaged Trigger Wheel
 Accessory Drive Belt
Check for any related Technical Service Bulletins (TSB) that may apply. If any problems are found, repair as necessary. If no problems are found, go to next step.
7. Replace and program the Powertrain Control Module.
WARNING: When the engine is operating, do not stand in a direct line with the fan. Do not put your hands near the pulleys, belts, or fan. Do not wear loose clothing.
8. The conditions that set the DTC are not present at this time. An intermittent problem may have been caused by moisture in the secondary ignition. Using the DRBIII(R), select DTC's AND RELATED FUNCTIONS. Read and record the FREEZE FRAME DATA. Select OBD II MONITORS. Read and record MISFIRE SIMILAR CONDITIONS WINDOW DATA. With these screens, attempt to duplicate the condition that has set the Misfire DTC. While using FREEZE FRAME DATA, pay particular attention to the DTC setting conditions such as speed, temperature, load, and MAP vacuum. Does the misfire reoccur? If yes, go to step 2. If no, test is complete.

10/30/2008

Merlin2021
Misfires can be caused by worn or fouled spark plugs, a weak spark (weak coil, bad spark plug wire), loss of compression, vacuum leaks, anything that causes an unusually lean fuel mixture (lean misfire), an EGR valve that is stuck open, dirty fuel injectors, low fuel pressure, or even bad fuel.