WINDSHIELD WIPER MOTOR.

1998 Dodge Ram

1998 Dodge Ram 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 110000 miles

The windshield wipers on my 98 dodge ram 1500 quit working about 4 months ago. I took just cleaned off the plug and connectors and tightened all the bolts and it started working again until last week.

The above procedure didn't work so I took the whole wiper assembly out and cleaned it up, used a continutiy tester (lamp) and showed it was getting power, tightend a few nuts that I couldn't get to before and reinstalled the unit. It still didn't work. I checked the fuse again and all the connections. Still nothing.

Out of frustration I gave the wiper motor a couple of whacks with the handle of my screwdriver and it started working.

Well now it's working but it's not fixed. I don't want to be riding through an east Texas frog choking rain and have them quit again. Any ideas?
Rushingturtle

Good to hear you understand it's not fixed. Also nice to know you understand how to use a test light.

The " whack" is the clue. When this happens again, use your test light, (not grounded on the wiper motor mounting plate), to measure the voltage on the motor housing. You will see 12 volts there. It's coming through the motor but can't get to ground. There is a burned ring on the brass grounding strip under the lower left bolt head. That brass strip is needed because the plate is mounted on rubber bushings to isolate vibration. Run a new ground wire from the motor mounting plate to the body of the truck.