1500 NO POWER UNDER LOAD

1997 Dodge Ram

1997 Dodge Ram 1500 2WD auto 318

On my way home one day I slowly started losing power and wasnt able to hardly keep it going past 50MPH. The couple of days beforehand I heard a " marbly" sound, and I am 99% confident the sound was coming from the catalytic converter. I took it to Midas, and they put a heat gun on it to get the temp reading before the cat and after, he said the cat is fine. I then took it to the local mechanic and he drove it, said its fuel or exhaust. After a couple of days he says it is the cat, and that I need to spend 800 bucks, and then since it was probably a tune up issue causing the cat to go bad I would have to drop another 300 on the tuneup. Needless to say I just picked it up and took it home.

I dont think its the cat, and doesnt appear that there is a fuel filter?

Can ANYONE please help?
Lizardkng

If the reading on the front is nearly equal to the back the converter is not scrubbing it meaning it not cleaning it up. The back has to be lower than the front.

You could prove it by doing a backpressure test on the exhaust system or the use of a vacuum gauge.

The couple of days beforehand I heard a "marbly" sound, the Cat is gone-go underneath shake it if it rattles its gone again-don't forget to find the cause that burn it up.

Meantime I'll be taking a

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_baby_smoking_26.gif