SWAY, VIBRATION, POWER

1996 Dodge Ram

Drive Train Axles Bearings problem
1996 Dodge Ram 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Manual 125000 miles

Hello, first let me start with a brief explanation of what I have and have done.

I own a 1996 dodge ram 3500 1 ton dually 4x4. I just recently installed a 7 inch lift kit then 22 inch 10 bolt rims with 37 inch mud/terrain tires. This looks good but has been causing me a few promlems. Right after the lift and tires were complete I developed a vibration in the dirveline. So bad that it broke the seal on my transfer case and locked up on a church mission trip. I have replaced the transfer case and installed a pair of ladder bars on the rear axle. This helped but still had a bad vibration. When the lift was installed a spacer plate was installed between the transmission and transfer case thus pushing everything back toward the rear end about half an inch. The collar on the drive shaft from the transfer case to the center carrige bearing had to be removed because it was hitting the body of the truck. I realize that most likely would cause the drive shaft to be out of round and will need to get it rebalanced before it ruins any the new universal joints, or carrige bearing, but I do not feel the typical vibration at any speen usually caused by the drive shaft out of balance. After installing the ladder bars, and removing the collar on the drive shaft the vibration seemed to move to the transmission. After closer inspection I found a nub on the top of the transfer case that was hitting the under carraige of the floor. I was able to cut the nub off and reshape the floor, but the vibration is still there. It is most noticable when pulling our travel trailer for camping and pulling out going up hill in first and second gear. Most all vibrations go away in higher gears. I am in the process of replacing the rubber bushing on the cross member the bolts the transfer case to the frame with a neoprean bushing - thinking it is stiffer and will not let the transfer case/transmission twist as much. Beyone that initial problem, I plan on changing the axle gears to one better suited to get my low end torque back and wonder if that may help, but was saving that question for later when I ask about either changing my 5 speed tranny out to a 6 speed, 7 speed, or putting a split rear end to help with better low end torque, and lower RPM's at higher speeds.

Can you give me any help?

Sincerely,

Jack
Jack1996

Ok with lifts this tall you can run into all kinds of problems. Now I must get some info first so I can be of better help. Now first did the front and rear diff get pitched back into place? Mean did the drive line angle get put back in place? Most drivelines like to be at a 2 degree pitch and you need to reset that with large lift. I have included a pic of the pitch wedges. Otherwise you may need a transfer case drop or reindexing kit from Skyjacker. Hope this helps let me know if you need anything more.

Racefan966