ALTERNATOR

1996 Dodge Ram

1996 Dodge Ram V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 162, 00 miles

My '96 Ram has a 162,000 miles and the other day as I was driving to work it stalled on me, I put it in nuetral turned the key and it started right up. Than I noticed that the voltage meter indicated it was charging at around 16 amps (18 being max on gauge and 14 the half way point) As I kept driving I noticed if I took my foot off the gas to slow down for a light or to turn it would stall. On the drive home from work pulling out of the companys drive way it stalled again this time it wouldnt start right up and I noticed a rapid clicking from under the hood under further investigation I found it to be coming from the power block possiably from the auto shut down relay. Is the alternator overcharging the battery and causing the ASD to kick in? And if so is it a bad alternator? Or is it something else altogether?
Serpico78

Were you able to identify the relay? As far as overcharging, was the needle still in the safe range? Finally, if it is overcharging, the most connom problem is the voltage regulator. Now comes my question. Chrysler made some with regulators in the alt itself, mounted to the firewall, and some were part of the PCM (main computer). You should try to get the truck to a parts store where they can check the alt output and determine if it's bad.

Let me know what you find.