TRUCK TRANS SHIFTING STRANGE

1988 Dodge Ram

I have a 1988 Dodge 4wd truck with a 318 fuel injected engine and 3 speed automatic transmission. I do not know if it is a tf-904 or tf-727, but it lags when shifting to 3rd gear. All other shifts are firm and consistent, but 3rd gear has a pause to it. I've tried to find an adjustment thinking maybe it's the bands slipping, but it's internall to the trans pan. I've always been told that if the fluid hasn't been changed and then you experience trouble and change the fluid, you'll generally be replacing the trans very soon after. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The truck has roughly 148000 miles and is a w-100 model. Thanks.
Dodgefan88

I do appreciate your response and indeed find out that it is 727. I pulled the pan off hoping to get by with a fluid and filter change to free up a sticking vavle in the valve body, however, what I found was heart breaking. I love this truck and don't currently have the money for a rebuild and my used replacement showed the same when I pulled the pan off of it. Which was metal shavings and sludge. I took the pan from both of them to my local transmission guy (has great reputation and very helpful) and he said they were both chewing up the thrust washers and or planetary sets in them because there was no brass in the metal shavings. But once again thank you for your help and insight.

Dodgefan88