MY IS MAKING A WEIRD SOUND.

1999 Dodge Neon

I have a 1999 Neon with 154,000 miles on it and just recently it started making a weird sound when I accelerate. It is kind of a whirring sound. It's not really loud and I only hear when I'm driving slower like around a parking lot or my neighborhood. Also when I make hard turns with the steering wheel like when I am turning a sharp corner or into a parking lot the car acts like it's having some sort of power problem, it tries to idle a bit rougher. I would like to sort of know what to tell a mechanic to look for before I take it in. In the past whenever I had a car issue I would ask my father what he thought it would be but he past away not long ago and this is my first car problem since his passing and now I am a little lost. I would really appreciate any help.
Vckyb67

It kinda sounds like your power steering pump is making noise on you, check the fluid level first make sure its to the full line if that doesnt help you might need a new power steering pump. Thats sounds like a possibility to me, without actually seeing or hearing.

1bigg1
Hi I just replaced the powersteering pump two weeks ago. This week I hreplaced the plug wires. Thank you for your input: )

Vckyb67
Still having the problem?

1bigg1
Hi yeah I had to have it towed today. Coming home from work it really started idling rough so I pulled into a parking lot justed when I did it died. When I tried to restart it, it did start up but it acted like it didn't want to and like it was going to die again. The tow guy took a look under the hood and when he took off the vacum hose it ran normal. I had to have it towed back home. I can't even have it looked at until Monday. I have no idea where to start.

Vckyb67