OIL LEAK

2003 Dodge Neon

2003 Dodge Neon 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 120000 miles

i have a 2003 dodge neon se and my whole header is covered in oil and I checked my engine. I do not have any oil left. Uhmm. This started about a week ago I noticed that it was leaking oil from the top in one of the four wholes that are on the top of the header (not sure what its called) anyways not much was coming out then about two days ago the engine light came on and the sudden surge of oil spilling went from mild to gushing because I could hear it when im driving the car. Please any suggestions or opinions on what I should do? What is the problem and what do I fix? O and uh how much would u think it would cost to fix? Thank you so much.
Robert_bulabogsr

You might have two issues going on at once or the oil is just spraying over the area you think is leaking. Directly on the back side of the motor is an oil pressure sender. This is under the exhaust manifold and this is really the only place you can lose pressure from like you are describing. I know on the older models it had a yellow plug that went into the top of the sender but not sure if they changed the color or not but its pretty easy to find once you remove the air filter housing. A simple twist of a wrench and its out. I recommend removing the airfilter housing and tube and ensure no oil will go into the intake. Restart the car after putting in the oil and see if that where the leak is. The top of the motor has no pressure so this is the only place I can think of for oil to be lost in that fast of a method other than the engine block have a gapping hole in it and then it wont run so this has to be it. Hope this helps MORT

Morticar