DODGE NEON BATTERY PROBLEM

2000 Dodge Neon

2000 Dodge Neon 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 51,000 miles

I have a 2000 dodge neon and just recently it started to jerk and then cut off on me. The dashboard was weird as well. After the car shut off the first time, I was able to get it on but the dash board was not working it wasn't showing how fast I was going or how much gas I had. It was as if the car was off but I was driving and the radio and lights still worked. Now the car wont start and when it does I have to press the gas pedal and it only stays on for two seconds. Now the battery light is coming on. PLEASE HELP SO TIRED OF THE RUN AROUND. ITS GETTING TO BE EXPENSIVE!
Sistah27

The gauges are an easy fix its most likely just a fuse. But also in newer cars the guages are electronically controlled and when the power gets too low in the car they will shut down. It sounds like you have a charging problem and there are some easy tests you can do without it breaking your wallet. I am unsure of what you have done so far so I will start at the beginning. There are two reasons for the charging problem one the battery and two the alternator. Both fortunately are easy and free to test. Depending on your location most auto parts stores can check both for free. This is where I would start first. If both those are fine then we need to look a little further into it. You can also use a voltmeter on the battery with the car off it should be 12 volts. If the car will start and run recheck the voltage again and it should be 13 to 15 volts. If the indicated voltage reading is less or more than the specified charging voltage you can also have the pcm (power conrtol module) checked at a dealer service dept. If all this checks out ok there might be an issue with the wiring. Check the chargin system wiring for frayed or broken/burnt wires. There is also a fusable link in the harness as well. Check all wires to the battery and starter for tightness and cleanliness. It may sound stupid but ensure that the belts are tight and not slipping causing the no charge state as well. You can also try to jump start the car properly and see if it will run fine off the jumped car. If so then you know for sure it is a charging problem. Then it is just a matter of searching it out like I said. Hope this is of some help MORT

Morticar