MY SHUTS OFF FOR NO REASON

1996 Dodge Neon

1996 Dodge Neon 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 130000 miles

I have a 1996 Dodge Neon. For a while it wouldnt start but we had finally got it started and running. But while driving it will just shut down after a few minutes. The engine will stop. After a few moments of trying to restart or just waiting, the engine will restart. How do we fix this so we can drive it normally? Is it the computer and does it need to be replaced or programmed. The Retard cycle all read zero and the open and closed loop read closed on a scanning computer while the car is running. Does it have something to do with the auto shutdown switch, and what does that do. PLease help. There are no codes comping up on the computer and everything seems to be working fine.
Rjdogg70

Hello, any codes? Can you get it to stall in the driveway? When it stalls, if the vehicle cranks good but won't start, have a helper crank it, check for spark at the plugs and injector pulse. If nothing, check for primary voltage at the coil and injector/s. The asd relay supplies voltage to those circuits and others. If the computer doesn't see the proper cam and crank signals, it may not ground the asd relay.

There are no codes and it takes a little time for it to stall in the driveway. When it idles, it doesnt shut off, just when it is in gear. If I drive abck and forth, it will eventually shut off. What is the the asd relay? We are guess it has to do when it is in motion. It is getting a signal to the cam and crank sensor. It is a confusing problem. We may think its the computer that needs to be reprogramed

Rjdogg70
When it refuses to start, did you visually check for spark at the plugs? If you have spark everywhere, use a gage and check fuel pressure.