CAR STALLS AND WILL NOT RESTART

1995 Dodge Neon

1995 Dodge Neon 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 177000 miles

Our car continues to stall and not restart. We have replaced the control module and wires, the fuel pump, the crankcase senser and the wires from the sensor to the computer. The computer has no code reader connection, so you have to watch the flashing check engine light. Prior to today it was indicating the crank sensor. Today the check engine light would not start flashing. The car started and died when shifted to reverse and now will not restart. ECM? Camshaft sensor? More wires? Nuetral Safty? What could be wrong. I have spent a lot of money and have not cured the problem.
DARohne

The car started and died when shifted to reverse and now will not restart.

Find out what's missing fuel or spark then get back

Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine -have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it

The 1995 Neon was the first Chrysler vehicle to contain the new OBD II emissions diagnostic system. If you don, t have a place to plug in a scan tool, it was cut off, or maybe stolen even. If you need to diagnose the engines ignition, fuel system, and many other systems then you must either find the plug or take it to an auto technician who will install it or locate it. In 1988 Chrysler recommended to not rely on the flashing lamp for detecting trouble codes any longer and I learned that the hard way. There has been a scan plug on every car Chrysler made since 1983 or even earlier. If its not under the dash then look under the hood I can think of 36 codes, just from memory, no one would be allowed to manufacture a car in this country with its emmission laws, that you would have to guess, all the time when you had a spark or fuel management problem. In 1995 no crank reference signal would not turn the Malfunction Indicator Lamp(MIL) on but no cam sensor signal or an intermittant loss of a crank sensor would. Even a non Chrysler scan tool would give you a P1390, P1391, or P0340 code for either a bad crank or cam sensor and either one couls cause a no spark condition. In 1995 only two kinds of cars and trucks would come in to the Dodge dealer I worked at. Either under warranty repair or from a garage or other repair shop.

Ch112063