DODGE NEON BATTERY PROBLEM

1995 Dodge Neon

Today I went out tp pick up some things. I turned off the car and went in the store. When I came out the car wouldnt turn over at all. I cleaned the battery terminals and still no luck. The battery was old so I bought a new one and it still will not turn over. Everything comes on in the car, but when the key is turned it doesnt even make a sound. Any ideas? The car has been running perfectly up until now.
StacyP

Ignition switch, starter, poor connection at starter or ground, would be my suspicions.

Is there an easy way to determine whether its the ignition switch or starter?

StacyP
With test equiptment yes. Will need help from another MOd on that one though.

Okay, I replaced both battery cables. Is there a test I can do on the ignition switch to see if its bad. I have a multimeter. Thanks for all your help.

StacyP
Check your email.

Okay, I removed the old starter and had it tested. It was indeed bad. I put in the new one and the car started fine, however it runs for about 5 seconds and shuts off. I was told there was some sort of built in security system and I needed to clamp both battery cables together to drain the capacitor. Have you guys ever heard of this?

StacyP
YES, as a matter of fact. If you don't there is a memory that will not allow a re-start.

PS: did you get the e-mail?

Yes, I did get the email. Thanks alot.
How long should I leave the cables clapped together?

StacyP
5 minutes should be plenty......Disconnected from the battery of course!

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/30961_shockedohno_1.jpg

I left it that way for over an hour and it still starts and run for a few seconds and then shuts off.

StacyP
Page 1 of 2