ENGINE WON'T CRANK (OR START)

2000 Dodge Intrepid

Engine problem
2000 Dodge Intrepid 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 96509 miles

Engine won't crank or start. When I remove the ignition relay, in the power control box under the hood, and jump from the power in terminal to the (normally open) out put terminal that goes to the starter solenoid, the engine cranks but will not start even with the key turned on. With a 12 volt test light I have voltage coming from the ignition switch (when turned to the crank position) at the proper input terminal (control circuit) of the afore mentioned ignition relay, so I know the the ignition switch is not at fault. I am surmizing that something in the control circuit (ground side) of the ignition relay is where the problem is. I have swapped the ignition relay with a functioning relay (same part number) from the wiper relay circuit but this makes no difference. There are no codes stored in the computer. I believe that the neutral/park switch is in this circuit But I don't know how to isolate/ bypass this to see if this is the problem Where should I look from here? Thank you in advance for any help that you can provide.
Mjdcwo

It sounds like the Auto Shutdown Relay isnt working. Try swapping your tester into that slot. The PCM signals the starter relay with ground, but if the PCM isnt fired up, even though it cranks it will never start. The neutral safety switch is a trans position sensor now, telling the PCM it ok to crank because it is in P or N

Jack42
I tested the auto shut down relay and it tested OK but I switched another one in its' place just to be sure. No difference. I even by-passed the relay and no difference. It still won't crank (OR START). The only way to get it to crank is to by pass the starter relay and then it cranks but won't start even with the auto shut down relay by-passed. I'm at a loss as to what to do next. Any help is appreciated.

Mjdcwo
Probably easier for you to look at the wiring diagram yourself.

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/mitchell1eautorepair-car-repair-manuals

Same software we use in shops. Printable wiring diagrams. Im thinking you might have a bad ignition switch.Isnt feeding power out to the PCM circuit

Jack42
A continuity check on the ignition switch shows that all terminals have the correct continuity for each position as shown in the Haynes repair manual. How do I check the transmission position sensor to see that it is sending the proper signal to the PCM? Can I by pass the sensor temporaraly to determine if this is the problem? How?

Mjdcwo
Go to the link I previously gave you. Look in wiring diagrams, it will show you the full schematic so you can see what can be by-passed

Jack42