DEAD BATTERY WHILE PARKED FOR SEVERAL DA

2000 Dodge Intrepid

2000 Dodge Intrepid V6 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 45000 miles

My mom owns a 2000 Intrepid and drives at most once a week or less and it is always parked in a warm garage year-round. The battery went completely dead and I replaced it only to find that the new battery went completely dead (0 volts) after 4-5 days sitting in the garage. I tried leaving it on a charger and drove it daily myself and it worked fine.
Once it was parked in the garage for a few days the battery would go completely dead again.

We brought it to the local Dodge dealer and they tested the charging system, the battery and electrical and sent us home with no answers only to park the car for 4 days and have a dead battery.

I did some internet research to find other angry Dodge owners with the same problem.

I solved the problem by doing some detective work and reading some repair forums. The cause of the dead battery is called a parasitic draw on the electrical system. Sounds biological, but it is a small draw on the electrical system and over a few days draws the battery down to 0. If she had used the car daily, the draw would go unnoticed, because it wouldnt draw it down enough to not start. Daily driving would charge the battery back to normal.

I searched for the obvious a trunk light stuck on, glove box light or even a power door-lock stuck in the energized position. The dealer couldnt find it either.

Finally, with more detective work, I learned that she was aways misplacing her car keys and was leaving the key in the ignition (Not turned on) just inserted in the slot. Since the car was in the garage and safe from theft, it was an ideal spot to leave her keys.

It turns out the onboard computer comes on after a period of time when the key is in the slot and the computer draws enough power over 4-5 days to kill the battery. Now she leaves the keys on the center console away from the key slot and the battery is fine.

I hope this helps others and Dodge should put out a service bulletin on this simple but hidden probelm.
Write me with any other ques on this Yoe123@aol. Com
YOE123