ES 3.2L V6 ECM PROBLEM

1998 Dodge Intrepid

I have a 1998 Dodge Intrepid ES V6 with a haunted ECM. The car runs fantastic as it always has since new. The problem is that the check engine light came on last week on a 300 road trip on the freeway. I took it to my regular mechanic who has always done all maintenance on the car. He reset the light, was able to see that there had been a " random misfire". The problem is he could not get all the information from the ECM. It gave random communications. Said I needed to take it to the local Dodge dealer service to have the ECM " reprogrammed". I set up an appointment to have the ECM reprogrammed. The Tech at the dealer who does this was also unable to get reliable data from the ECM. They are recommending I replace the ECM with a factory remanufactured ECM to the tune of $500 plus labor to R& R plus $85 (1 hour) to reprogram.

Has anyone seen a similar case where the car runs great, as usual, but the ECM will not communicate correctly with the outside world? COuld this not be the ECM iteself but a bad solder joint on a connector or a bad cable to the OBDII connector?

By the way the check engine light is extinguished. The car is idiling and running great and gets 25-28 MPG routinely. And never uses any oil. All maintaenance is done preventively. I.E. New timing belt, cables, hoses, etc.

What about buying a used ECM and swapping it in?Is this a good/bad idea?
TheShadowKnows