LOW COMPRESSION

1993 Dodge Dynasty

1993 Dodge Dynasty 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 70000 miles

I took my car to a repair place and they told me I have low compression on one of the cylindars. What do I have to do to fix it and is it worth it?
Macktheknife

Did they do a compression and cylinder leakage tests indicating its low-if not have them confirm it by doing the tests

If its a valve problem could be just a valve job needed its a lot more cheaper below the head cost more-

Hi there,

Thank you for the donation,

This will depend on the cause of the low compression, if it is a burnt vale the cylinder head will have to be removed and o/hauled, you never just do one valve. If it is a ring problem, this will be an engine overhaul, also if the engine is worn and the head is the problem, often the increased compressions obtained with overhauling the head can cause oil consumption issue, you will have to get a leak down test done to check for the condition of the lower half of the engine, a wet & dry comp test will tell you if the valves are faulty, a wet test is when some oil is added to the cylinder this will seal the rings, if the comps come up the rings are faulty if no it will be a valve problem.

Mhpautos