WON'T IDLE

1992 Dodge Dynasty

1992 Dodge Dynasty 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 120000 miles

It won't idle unless you are pressing the gas peddle, even when I am driving it goes just fine, but if I lift my foot it will die.I have checked for vacuum leaks and don't seem to find any. The manual is useless so I would apreciate any help. Thank you for your time.
Insom63

If it will run if you hold the gas pedal down, the battery was likely disconnected or run dead. &Quot; Minimum throttle" must be relearned by the engine computer before it will know when it must be in charge of idle speed. To meet the conditions necessary for the relearn procedure to occur, drive at highway speed with the engine warmed up, then coast for at least seven seconds without touching the brake or gas pedals.

If this doesn't help, the air passage around the throttle blade could be plugged with carbon. This used to be a common problem with the 3.0L engine years ago when fuels went as clean as they are today.