OIL LIGHT ON

2004 Dodge Durango

2004 Dodge Durango V8 All Wheel Drive Automatic 74500 miles

oil pressure light stays on at first start of day or long sitting period between starts. If turned off and then restart immediately following the light does not come on.
Would this be a condition of an intermittent sensor?
Cruising00

Hi there,

Thank you for the donation,

Firstly I am not that familiar with theses cars as I am in Aust, but what you describe sound like an oil filter draining back, the engine will take a few sec to re establish full oil pressure with the filter empty, are these filters inverted? You may wish to check out filters that have an anti drain back valve. Start here.

Mhpautos
I change il myself and always use fram filter. Oil was just changed in september and this condition just started happening the last few weeks. Does not always come on at start. This morning on first start it did not stay on

Cruising00
Hi there,

Just to be safe I would suggest that you get the oil pressure tested with a mechanical gauge from a cold start, check the oil pressure and how quickly it builds up, you may just have a faulty sender unit.

Mark. (Mhpautos)

Mhpautos