CLICKING NOISE WHEN COMPRESSOR IS ENGAGE

2003 Dodge Durango

Air Conditioning problem
2003 Dodge Durango V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 113000 miles

Hey guys, I would really appreciate some insight with this problem. The car is a 2003 Dodge Durango 4.7 engine. When you turn on the A/C compressor, there is a loud clicking noise, turning off the compressor, makes the noise stop. I have changed out the clutch plate, pulley, and bearing. What could be causing this? BTW, the air still blows very cold, it never stops being cold. Here is a short video of the compressor, you can hear the clicking.

I have the video on youtube. If you go to youtube and just type in russm313 (that's my user ID), you will see the video in the results.

Thanks for all the help!
Russm313

I think there's something wrong with the clutch engagement.

I would try using jumper wires to send 12 volts to the clutch and see if it engages solid. Just as a test.

Buddycraigg
Thanks for the quick response! I am familiar with electronics so I understand how to run a 12v jumper wire. However, could you tell me where to connect it to the clutch? Also, what exactly am I looking for to happen when I connect the jumper? What do you mean by " engages solid"?

Thanks again for the help!

Russm313
At the front of the compressor, under the pulley is a filed coil.

When electricity flows through the coil, its magnetic field pulls the clutch disk against the spinning pulley.

The clutch is attached to the armature of the compressor and so the compressor starts to spin.

The noise I heard on your video sounds very much like the clutch engaging and dis engaging very quickly.

So if you supply power to the field coil (look for a pig tail about 6" long coming from under the pulley)
then the clutch should lock in and stay locked in and not make the noise.

Buddycraigg
Wonderful, I think I know exactly what you mean. My wife is gone in the car right now, but when she gets back, I will try that! I have another coil because I bought an entire compressor to use as parts. I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks again!
Russ

Russm313
It worked! Thank you so much! I replaced the coil and now it's perfectly silent! When I took the old coil off, I noticed there was a crack in the mylar all the way around the face of the coil. Not sure if that is a sign it was damaged or just a coincidence. Again, thank you very much.

Russ

Russm313
Also, I just wanted to let you know that I donated again to this question once it was solved. $20.00 total, I know you saved me much more than this but it's all I can do at the moment. Again, just wanted to show my appreciation. God Bless,
Russ

Russm313
Wow, thanks for that.

We all gotta save money these days.

I'm glad I was of service.

Buddycraigg