IDLE

2001 Dodge Durango

2001 Dodge Durango V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 98000 miles

when I start my car (engine is cool) the idle runs high, once I press on the gas it seams to idle down but every now and again it will idle back up, for instance to and from the grocery. Only noticable when stopped at a light or first starting. It will occasionally rev up and down on its own at a stop light. Dealer cant find anything wrong?
Fixitall

Too fast an idle speed. If an engine without computerized idle speed control is idling too fast and refuses to come down to a normal idle speed despite your best efforts to back off the carburetor idle speed screw or air bypass adjustment screw (fuel injection), air is getting past the throttle somewhere. Common leak paths include the carburetor and throttle body gaskets, carburetor insulator spacers, intake manifold gaskets, and of course, any of the engine's vacuum fittings, hoses and accessories. It is even possible that leaky O-rings around the fuel injectors are allowing air to leak past the seals. Another overlooked item can be a worn throttle shaft and a defective idle speed speed control motor/valve stuck in the extended (high idle speed) position/throttle position sensor. Also the throttle plate could be binding in its bore and kinked accelerator cable, coolant temperature sensor might not be operating properly misleading the computer that the engine is still cold and computer throwing fuel at it raising the idle speed.