SPEED OUTPUT SENSOR

1999 Dodge Durango

1999 Dodge Durango V8 All Wheel Drive Automatic 77,000 miles

I had the codes read on my vehicle because my check engine light was on. The first code was for a speed output sensor and the second code was 3rd to 4th shift malfunction. Would the speed output sensor have something to do with the 3rd to 4th shift malfunction.
Cocodewayne

Yes. The output shaft speed sensor monitors the speed of the output shaft of engine going to transmission. Usually it will only delay shifts 1 to 2. But still can delay shifts 3-4 and so on into Over Drive. I also have a 99 durango and have replaced that sensor it is by the Neutral safety switch so make sure you remove the right one. If you have any questions please reply.

Kd7ynb
Thanks for the reply, do you know about how much does it cost to replace the output shaft sensor?

Cocodewayne
Sorry about the long wait to reply, you probly already changed the part. The part ran me around $30 I believe. You will need a small drain pan too. It will only lose about 1/4 quart of trans. Fluid. It is behind the Neutral/Park Safety Switch.

Kd7ynb