DIFFERENTIAL NOISE

1999 Dodge Durango

Drive Train Axles Bearings problem
1999 Dodge Durango V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 124856 miles

A while back noticed a noise coming from the rear end while driving. It progressivily got worse and was consistant with speed. But then the right back tire started smoking. So I broke down the rear and replaced all the bearings, races, crush sleve, etc. Noise still remained. So I replaced the u-joints on the shaft. Noise still there. So I then went to a salvage yard, pulled a rear. And for info sake, I had a 3.55 ratio in a 9.25 rear. The one I pulled was a 3.92 in a 9.25 rear.
but for trial sake wasn't sure it'd matter. Guess what? Noise still there!
My question is what am I missing? The noise deffinately resinates from the rear.
Nevyn

You don't say anything about checking the axle shaft. It sounds like you went into the center section of the axle, but missed the wheel bearings at the outside ends of the axle.

Also, if the 4 wheel drive thing is correct, you'll need to put the 3.55 gears back in. The front and rear need to be close in ratio to keep from destroying the transfer case.

Good Luck!

Oldtech2