SHIFTING

1998 Dodge Durango

1998 Dodge Durango V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 55000 miles

When you first start my truck from cold it shifts into 1st gear ok. When it hits 2nd gear it seems to shift up into over drive mode and the rpms go up until you let off the gas some and then it shift into the gear it should be in. I was just wondering what might be the problem. Could it be a sensor? I am not an automotive person but I cant imagine the transmission is going bad already at 55000 miles. It seems really noticeable when first using the truck fresh off of being cold. If it gets to highway use. It shifts into 2nd gear fine, but seems to stick in the gear until I let off the gas some and then it shifts to where it should be.
Bstubbsjr1

Hi
Your right a speed sensor or a shift solenoid is most likely cause. Need to get a scanner on it and check component operation. Also if filter and fluid has never been changed that would be a good thing to do. Does it shift better as truck warms? If so filter fluid change may do the trick.
Let me know
Thanks for donate

Docfixit
It does shift better when the truck is warm and has been running for awhile. You mentioned changing fluid and filter. Do you mean replacing all the transmission fluid and a transmission filter?

Bstubbsjr1
10-4 stuff looses hydraulic properties over time.

Docfixit
Ok then. Thanks alot. Will def try the fluid replace. Where is the filter located for the transmission? Im a car idiot obviously.

Also. If this doesnt help. You mentioned having it hooked up to a scanner. Is this something a mechanic or dealer would need to do?

Bstubbsjr1
Filter is in pan on bottom of trans. The pan is removerd fluid drained. Then filter is removed and replaced. New pan gasket then fill with new fluid.
You may check with AAMCO see what a flush and fill will run and they can scan test trans at same time.

Docfixit