ENGINE

Dodge Dakota

I have 89 Dodge Dakota Shelby truck, I know this is bad for your engine when its not running on all cylinders. I have a V8 engine and was just curious to see how harmful it would be to make 2 or even 4 of the cylinders stop working to get better gas milage, if its just the spark plugs that makes the cylinders stop working then if you remove the plugs or have defective plugs, how harmful would it be to the engine?
Nikeball87

Well, just removing the plug wires will not improve gas milage. The fuel is just going to go over board. I know you are thinking if you can stop a few cylinders from running it can save you gas. Problem is, the only way to do this is to disconnect a few injectors to stop the fuel.
Would I do this? Heck no! You are going to create vibrations in your engine, and the cylinders you still have running will have to work harder and burn more fuel to compensate.
If you want to save gas, keep your tires inflated to the proper level, make sure your air filter is clean, dont ever press the gas pedal past 1/4 the way down, cruise at 60 on the high way, and take less trips. Or by a fuel efficeint vehicle. But dont create problems in a good engine by doing something not very smart.

Mikeybdman